Thursday, November 22, 2012

Random Holiday Thoughts

I've never been big on Thanksgiving or parades (I know, I'm unAmerican).  But Boise is decorated for  the benignly named Holiday Parade (which used to be the totally politically incorrect Fairyland Parade) which is Saturday (no, I won't go), the Christmas tree is up in the Grove just waiting for Master Beater (oh, sorry Mayor Bieter) to light it.  So what does this mean?  Christmas time has arrived.

As much as I'm anti Thanksgiving, I love Christmas.  Christmas has gifts, and giving, and cold weather and Christmas carols and Santa and of course the Birth of the Big Guy (I just miss sharing birthdays with Him by 10 hours and 25 minutes). One custom that is sometimes celebrated here is the Mexican tradition of fireworks at Christmas.  There is nothing more gorgeous that fireworks in middle of a snowstorm.  (yes, I also love the Fourth of July, I think I was a pyromaniac in a former life)

Now I can confess I've been listening to Christmas Carols on Spotify for the last week.

And as for the Mayan calendar,and their prediction that the world will end on December 21.  Please, that is the Druid's day of Yule.  I respect the druids, they worship oak trees.  As an Oakes, I have to like that.  So my bet is the Druids can beat the Mayans any day.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving and happy beginning of the Season of Yule.

No comments: